Friday, September 28, 2007

Skunked!

I got up this morning, let the dogs out and one of them had a run-in with one of these:



I have spent my ENTIRE day trying to rid the house (and the dog) of the smell.

In case this ever happens to you, I found a recipe online for a de-skunking solution that worked really well.

1 quart 3% hydrogen peroxide
1/4 cup baking soda
1-2 teaspoons liquid dish soap

Make sure you google "skunk remedy" and read about it before using it, but really, it worked VERY well for me.

Honestly, we were fairly lucky. Even though it was a direct hit it just got the side of her face and a little bit of her shoulder. I think that I got it as bad as she did though because I was holding the door when she bolted past me into the house.

Now, if anyone has any hints as to how to get the smell out of fabric (couch, carpet) I'd love to hear it!!! Again, the smell is FAINT because we made the dog do a u-turn before she made it too far, but I can still smell it and even though I know it will dissipate, I want it gone NOW!

Oh, I even bought an $8.00 candle at the grocery store to mask the scent. Crazy.

12 comments:

rohanknitter said...

Oh that sounds awful. I have no words of advice , sorry!
We had a skunk get into the barn once. It didn't spray any people or animals, just into the air in general and it stunk out there for a couple weeks. I had to wash the boys' chore coats every day because they stunk so bad. Those skunks are unbelievably stinky!

Sarah and Jack said...

The only way I know to remove that smell is tomato juice. But I cant imagine how you would wash the carpet with tomato juice. LOL

Maybe one of those dog/cat enzyme cleaners? BioKleen?

randi said...

Oh gosh, I wish I could offer some advice to you, but I know nothing about this! I really hope you can get the smell out of the house! Maybe it fades after time???

Anonymous said...

he-he!! Sorry I laugh!! We have no idea about skunks here and they are only known through cartoons etc which makes them seem cute and cuddly. I would love to know what it smells like (only for a quick sniff!!) Love your fabric stash from Superbuzzy - mmmmm cute!

lera said...

Oh, man! So the skunky dog ran past you and got the scent ON you??!?!? You poor thing!

Chara Michele said...

Oh my! I have absolutely no advice... I wish I did though, because that sounds awful! I hope the smell goes away really quick:)

The Naturalist's Daughter said...

Oh my gosh, what a horrible experience. Thats awful. I hope your candle smells lovely. I am so grateful that we don't have skunks here. I hope the smells goes away asap.

Anonymous said...

Oh, NO! Skunk smell is terrible! Glad you've found a solutions...hope you're de-skunked soon! Far as I know there are no skunks in Norway...can't say I don't mind--LOL! Happy weeekend to you all ((HUGS))

Anonymous said...

LOL I know I shouldn't be laughing but I can't help it :)

Sew Create It - Jane said...

Sorry no advice, but a cyber hug..nothing worse than having your day re-scheduled to cleaning...and skunk smell to boot. At least you were about to google it and find someone that "nose" about these things and made a big "stink" about it on the internet! ..sorry couldn't help a pun or two :o)

Sabine said...

So this is no joke? Do they really smell that bad?
A skunk looks quite cute tough...

Funky Finds said...

omg...last night i dreamed that a skunk was attacking abby. then i woke up this morning & smelled skunk on the way to work! creepy! love your new cards. nice work!