Yesterday I made two more batches of soap.
The first (3 lb) batch is mocha soap. I used fresh-brewed (cooled) coffee to make it instead of water. I added cocoa, a splash of vanilla fragrance oil and some coffee grounds at trace and when it was poured in the mold I sprinkled some more grounds on top.
In theory it sounds wonderful, doesn't it?? (ok, maybe it doesn't, I don't know).
Well, let's just say that if the scent doesn't improve, this batch is headed to the garbage bin. I'm ok with that, I have a LOT to learn.
I got the kitchen all cleaned up, had dinner and then it hit me, I HAD to make another batch, but my mold was already busy. I wanted to make a batch of "manly" soap for Joe, so I dragged everything out again and made a smaller 1 lb batch of "Muskoaka Boathouse" (cedar scent) soap. I used a tupperware container as a mold, it turned out ok (using that mold) but I think I have to beg Joe to make me a small, 1 lb wood mold.
Anyways, I had some serious doubts about this soap right up until the point that I cut it. I'm kinda digging it now. It is quite heavily scented, but I really think that the scent will fade as the soap cures.
On Sunday, my friend is coming over to make soap. I'm sure I'll make another batch with her, I am thinking "Vanilla Oatmeal".
While I had my camera out the other day, I was able to finally get a picture of Jake, she's our 20ish year old cat who doesn't like to be photographed.