Sunday, November 04, 2007

It's been a cozy weekend!

I'm in all out Christmas present making/planning mode. We have lots of friends who are geocachers who survive on Tim Horton's coffee while out geocaching. I thought it would be a great idea to give them Timmy's gift certificates and a reusable coffee cuff as a little Christmas gift.

My first thought was to crochet them with this incredibly funky yarn. Ya, if you really aren't very good at crocheting, do NOT attempt to crochet with fancy shmancy yarn. The first several crochet attempts were BEYOND disasterous and were ripped out.

My next thought (which came very quickly) was to knit them. The first one I knit was way too large and was way too slippy. The second was way too small and wouldn't fit around the cup. This is my last (and still failed) attempt. It fits around the cup (barely) around the top and bottom but it's still pretty slippy and loose around the middle, which won't work.



So, this morning I decided to just sew them. This is NOT my first attempt. After about 1.5 hours of tweaking the size, this is what I have.



It's slightly quilted with raw edges that have been zig-zagged. Simple to make and I think they will make cute little gifts when combined with a gift card.

7 comments:

lera said...

What a cute gift idea. The knitted one is cute. Maybe you can continue to perfect it.

Sonja said...

Knitting and/or crocheting with funky yarn is surprisingly difficult, I'd agree.
The quilted sleeve is cute!

Anonymous said...

Very cute indeed! Its hard to tell from the picture. Did you using a rib stitch to knit them? How about a using a smaller needle for the first three or so bottom row then switching to a larger needle? That might accommodate the cup gradation.

A small piece of elastic sewn along the inside of the knitted cozy might do the trick too. How about a little gocco sign on the side that says "Geocachers are beautiful people" :)

Anonymous said...

Great ideas! Love the fabrid cand the knit cozy...

But Xmas preparations...I'm still working my head around that one. At least I've started making some lists--LOL! Happy week to you & yours ((HUGS))

Mary Sarah said...

Great idea for Christmas presents! You're right about the differents yarns. Some are hard to work with. I like the knitted one too!

Chara Michele said...

Such a great gift idea!

Lisa Clarke said...

Oh, I like the fabric cozy. I've been wanting to try making a few of those myself. My sister is a big Starbuck's fan and she might like one.