Sunday, March 18, 2007

Crochet and Cookies

I gave in. I started a crocheted rippley afghan. I started it late last week and this is what it looks like so far:





I'm loving it. What I'm not loving though is the cost. I am using up a ton of Patons Classic Merino that I had bought when I was right into knitted felted bags. I only had to buy three skeins of yarn to make the afghan. But when I added up the total cost of the yarn used for the afghan, it works out to about $100.00!!!!!! Now, I know that's not bad, but I'm a cheapo. I know I'm going to want to make another and I don't think I could use any other yarn so I'm just going to have to "suck it up".

As fun as it is to work on though, I'm finding it really tough on my left arm (I'm left-handed). It was only three years ago when I fell and shattered my elbow/broke my arm. I just don't have the strength or mobility in that arm that I used to and I'm finding that I NEED to take a break every now and then or my arm gets very sore and achy.

I also made some cookies today. I don't know why, but I felt the need to photograph the event. Perhaps it's because it's VERY RARE for me to make cookies, mostly because I could eat them all in a day! But look, I can bake.







I used my new oven mitt. It works just fine!

8 comments:

lera said...

the afghan looks great! for $100, it better look great, huh?

and the cookies look delish. the last few times i've "made" cookies, they've been the pre-made kind from the tub. much more convenient for me. (now, if i can just keep joe and the boys out of the tub of cookie dough!)

Anonymous said...

you know, you could find all your yarn at value village? i get a LOT of my yarn there and obviously it's so much cheaper than buying it at the store!

Chara Michele said...

I love the colors of your afghan. (I guess for $100, you probably do too:) Crafting can get expensive can't it!

Yummy cookies!

Anonymous said...

Love your afghan and I love chocolate chip cookies! I crochet and yarn can be expensive ... especially when making an afghan. As far as cookies go, I'm the same. I can't make them because I can't/won't stop eating them! Bummer!

Joanna said...

I looooove your afghan. I suppose the high cost is why red heart acrylic is so popular, eh? Yours is going to be an heirloom, anyway. Sometimes it's worth sucking it up.

Your cookies look delish.

beki said...

Your afghan is beautiful! I'm sure it is super soft and cuddly :)
And YUM on the cookies. I'm sure I'd eat the whole batch.

Jodi said...

The afghan looks beautiful! I have a bunch of Patons Classic Merino in my stash, too, and I can't decide how to use it. Perhaps an afghan is in the works?

$100 may seem expensive, but you're making something out of wool that will be very warm and will stand the test of time. Cheap acrylics are cheap for a reason, and having colors that you love and enjoy working with is awfully important. Plus how many hours are you putting into this thing? It might as well be worth it.

Katie Jean said...

That's impressive for one weekend's work! At least you'll have the pleasure of knowing you did it yourself and didn't pay someone else $100! haha.

now I want some cookies.