Saturday, March 31, 2007

Another tote and some shopping

I just finished sewing a tote that I have had cut out for about a week now. I was watching the DIY Network and they demonstrated sewing tote kind of like you would sew a zippered pouch. The technique involves sewing the top seam (where the handles get sandwiched between the outer fabric and lining) first and then sewing the sides. Brilliant! So I thought. I always hate sewing that last seam together when making a bag or tote. It wasn't until I was actually sewing the sides that I realized that this was NOT GOING TO WORK! Sewing the seams in that order resulted in the lining getting caught in the outer fabric where the seams meet. I always have issues with this when making a zippered pouch too.



Another failed project....AHHHH!!! he he he

Anyhoo, I have been doing a little bit of online shopping at Superbuzzy.



I haven't even had a chance to flip through the magazine. I'm hoping that I can find a student at school who speaks Japanese to help me make sense of some of the instructions.

12 comments:

lera said...

I like the tote. I can't see any flaws from here. Do you think you will try that method again?

Nice Superbuzzy order. And good luck with the Japanese. Let me know how it goes.

Anonymous said...

Thank goodness those Japanese mags are so visual.

I think I know what you're saying about the lining. What a bummer that is didn't work out. Give that seam ripper a work out and get back to it. That is too cute a bag not to finish!

Kimberly said...

I know what you mean about the lining-it's always a new puzzle to me. I like the bag!

Anonymous said...

Bag fabrics are great. I think that method of sewing a tote is tough because the fabrics can get lumpy where they meet at the top. Very difficult to topstitch through.

Ah-ha, Japanese mag! Watch out -- one is never enough. I find great photo inspiration.

Anonymous said...

I love the bag!!

-Sarah

Chara Michele said...

The tote bag is cute (even if it didn't turn out, although you can't tell from here that it didn't!).

What lovely fabric from superbuzzy! I always hesitate on buying any japanese craft magazines, because I think I would hate not being able to read it.

Mrs.Kwitty said...

Cute tote!! You know, when you put the tote together, you sew the top seams together, then you pair up the lining piece with the lining piece AND the outer piece with the outer piece (matching the top seams together)--then sew around, leaving a gap in the lining side or bottom, turn RSO, sew up your gap, and then tuck the lining to the inside of the tote, iron your top edge and edge stitch. Does that make sense to you? It really works nice and your lining doesn't get sewn to the outer fabric.
Smiles, Karen

turningwheelfarm said...

I love that tote. It's so cute and looks great. I ordered a bit too much from superbuzzy over the weekend. They have so many cool fabrics in!
amy

Joanna said...

Maybe you think it's a failed tote, but it looks good from here. Lucky you with your superbuzzy purchases. One of these days I'm going to place an order with them.

Anonymous said...

directions schmirections.

Anonymous said...

When, oh WHEN will these Japanese publishing companies publish something in ENGLISH??? I mean, there are many many people who are bilingual in Japanese and English, and don't they know they could make a killing in this country??? Oh please, Cotton Time, please put out an English edition!!! Thanks.

blissful said...

I dislike that last step too (though not topstitching) :)

I think it came out well!