Monday, March 26, 2007

I have the Monday blues...

I fell in love with this blouse at Nikki-Shell's blog. I bought the pattern (Simplicity 4589) and some fabric from Value Village I got to work.

Please keep in mind that the only experience I have sewing clothing was a bridesmaid's dress in 1995 and the PJ bottoms I've been making recently. I really have no experience following patterns or deciphering the instructions. I cut out all the pieces and started sewing. At one point I think you need to hand stitch the lining of the neck down. Not me, I thought I could use the sewing machine. Uh, no. When the pattern says hand stitch (I think it was blind stitch actually) I think it's for a reason.

My biggest blunder had to do with the sleeves. There are little dots to line up the sleeve with the blouse that you need to put on your pattern pieces. Ok, I'll use my fading quilting marker. Well, the circles faded, go figure, and then I started guessing where they went. You can't do that!!!!!!!!!!!!

So...the first time I sewed on the sleeve it was wrong, I ripped it out and tried it again. The second time I sewed the sleeve on inside out. This is the third attempt after the little circles faded and it is NOT right either. It will either be ripped out OR I'll start all over again from the beginning. I can't really wear this one anyways because of the stitching around the neck when I was supposed to use a blind stitch. *sigh*



OHHHH!!!!!

I can't crochet either. That lovely afghan I posted about last week?? Well, the stitch used is not double crochet, it's not half double crochet, I don't know what it is. I think it's some made up mystery stitch.

Here's what happened:

I used to crochet years ago (didn't we all??) and I just needed a refresher before I started on the afghan. I'm left-handed so I searched on google "left-handed double crochet" (or something like that). I found a site that had diagrams I could understand and off I went. I kept thinking that this isn't exactly how I remember doing it, but I followed the diagrams exactly, so this must be right.

I was still haunted by the fact that it wasn't looking exactly right. I started looking at all the other wonderful afghans online and realized mine didn't look like those ones, but that's because I'm left-handed, right???? WRONG.

I looked up instructions on how to double crochet on other sites when I realized that I HAVE BEEN DOING IT WRONG.

I am not ripping it out.

I look forward to having something successful to blog about soon :)

11 comments:

Katie Jean said...

Sorry to hear about your crafting blunders. I still think your shirt is coming out nicely! Sewing doll clothes has helped me to sew big people clothes. haha

Brandy said...

Half double crochet is like a smaller double. It is real stitch, though. And one of my favorites because I can work it up so easily. It's what I use for my slippers. ;)

Anonymous said...

LOL! I'm sorry to be laughing at your disasters but you tell a funny story. I found your site through the etsy blog thread.

Anonymous said...

Hey - I have this exact same pattern. Think it will make perfect summer shirts.

For your sleeves - instead of marking with the *disappearing* ink marker, take a tiny snip into the seam allowance. One snip for the dot on the front of the sleeve and two snips for the dot on the back. Because clothing has a 5/8 seam allowance there is plenty of room for a snip that won't affect(effect - I give up) your garment.

And no, you can't machine stitch that facing down but a quick blind stitch hem will do the job. Great for in front of the TV work.

It still looks great - keep on going!

As far as the crocheting don't forget the English and American version of stitches are two different things so check were the instructions of origin are from!

thanks for sharing your craftiness! Love it!

Anonymous said...

I'm with Felicia...I'm sorry but I'm giggling too =P That is EXACTLY the sort of thing that happens to me when I try to make clothes, lol. And I absolutely love those tops Nikkishell made, I put that pattern on my wists too =)

Yay for mystery Karyn stitch! xx

lera said...

we all have similar failed sewing attempts. and as for making up your own crochet stitches, you're on your own there. (maybe you could patent it and make lots of money???)

Anonymous said...

Well, i don't think it looks as bad as you say. Remember what i said in my email, take your time and don't take shortcuts, it's worth it in the end.
Oh, and i'm left handed too!

Anonymous said...

Your blouse-sewing experience sounds like the process I go through when sewing clothes! I think I have that pattern, too. Saw it on a blog. I'm too scared to cut out anything for fear I'll mess it up. Is it possible to make it a tank top? Or is it too late for that? Now that summer's coming, I really should pull that pattern out again.

Jenni-Raie said...

your blouse looks PRETTY good so far! i like the fabric a lot too!

my double crochet (and other stitches) look different from others too. it's because i wrap before i put the hook through the loop. don't give up!

Mrs.Kwitty said...

LOL--I enjoyed reading about your adventures in sewing and crochet! To tell the truth, I am a very experienced sew-er, I've been at it since I was a child (which was MANY years ago!) and I can't follow a commercial pattern to save my life!!! So you are not alone in your struggles. BUT I do think your blouse looks cute, just give that sleeve one more try.
Oh, and crochet! I dabble in it. My Mom was a wonderful crochetist, and she was watching me crochet once and remarked "what in the heck are you doing?" ROFL We all develop our own style--whatever works for you!
Smiles, Karen

Kimberly said...

Oh I've seen that on Nikki-Shell's blog too and loved it. She makes wonderful things. Keep going, I like how it's turning out. :)