Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Calling All Quilters

I went to VV again today at lunch. It's my favourite way to spend 45 minutes in the middle of the day. Anyways, I was very distressed to see that the bedding section seems to be shrinking. I walked around the corner to the blankets and I saw this one from a distance. I think my jaw dropped and it felt like I was walking in slow motion. Please please please don't let anyone else grab it!!!

$5.99 bought me this:



It's a twin size quilt (only half is visible in the photo). But it's a bit strange. The top seems older, it's like it's been used but there is no backing or binding on it. There are a couple of damaged areas that I'm sure I could fix.





I want to bring this back to life but I have no idea how. I think it needs a layer of batting, backing and a binding of some sort. I do not want to quilt it, mostly because I have no idea how.

Any ideas??? I could always fold it up and use it as decoration somewhere but I would really love to be able to use it.

7 comments:

lera said...

Wow! Someone put a LOT of hard work into that, and then just quit? (hmm. almost sounds familiar.)

That's a great find.

Anonymous said...

Karyn ~ You really need to go and see Jennifer over at www.jchandmade.typepad.com
She had a similar dilemma!

Sonja said...

*dies* *dies again*
I was at an antique mall this weekend. The unfinished, damaged quilt tops they had were all around $80!
What a great find!
As far as the backing etc. goes, why not check your library for a quilt book for beginners? That's where I always start.

Anonymous said...

If the sides are tacked together, you'll have a harder time fixing it than it they're not. You can try just fixing the edges and whatnot with sewing them, and then cut the side open and put new batting in it and then close it.

Just my suggestion.

-Sarah

Anonymous said...

How about tying it? That way you wouldn't be worried about having to quilt it. Oooo...ooo..how about backing it with chenille....yummm.

Anonymous said...

What an awesome find! I hope you're able to get some good advice on restoring it. It would make such a beautiful display quilt.

Sarah and Jack said...

It wouldn't be that hard to finish. Make the quilt sandwich with the batting and the backing fabric, then add the binding. I would quilt inside the squares that don't have the house in them. Just sew in a square in there, does that make sense?

It is lovely anyway! I am quite fond of that pattern.