Saturday, April 21, 2007

Geocaching 101

I know I have mentioned geocaching more than once on my blog and I've had people in the past ask me what it is. I've never really explained it in a post and I think it might be time.

In August 2002 Joe and I found our first geocache. Joe and I had both heard of geocaching but we didn't really know much about it. After a lengthy conversation with someone during a dinner boat cruise we finally decided to try it. That was 5 years ago, we have since found almost 1500 caches and hidden 33 of our own.

What is geocaching??? The best way to describe it is high tech treasure hunting. Using coordinates you find at the official Geocaching website you use your GPS receiver to then locate the "cache". A "cache" is usually a Rubbermaid type container filled with dollar store trinkets for trading and a log book. When you locate the cache, you sign and date the log book, trade trinkets if you like and then when you get home you record your find on the Geocaching website.

Geocaches vary greatly in difficulty. They can be as simple as finding a magnetic container attached to a lamp post in a Walmart parking lot, or they can require a 3 day canoe trip.

One of my favourite things about geocaching is the people. We have met so many awesome people through geocaching. I think my favourite type of cache is event caches. Event caches take place on a certain day at a certain time at a certain place, typically a restaurant, where geocachers gather and share stories.

I took some pictures today while we were out. The first two are of the geocache as we found it and a peek inside of it.







I took a few pictures of the trails while we were out. The first picture is a bird feeder, one of many scattered in the forest. I loved how this one had windows and a door!


This bench was located about half-way along the trail.

I don't even know where we were when I took this picture, I just like it.






And for no reason, a picture of Joe and I.



If you want to know more about geocaching, send me an e-mail, I'll happily answer any questions about it.

5 comments:

lera said...

That's a cute pix of you and Joe. I'm glad you shared it. You haven't posted many (if any) photos of yourself before.

I'm not going to tell *my* Joe about geocaching, or he may want to try it, too :-)

Anonymous said...

I am so happy to see a picture of you and Joe. I love being able to "see" who I visit with!

Katie Jean said...

My cousin and her husband geocache and love it. I haven't done it, but my husband and I letterbox, which is pretty similar without the gps and all that. It's such a great way to find new fun places out in nature!


and that's a very nice pic of you too!

Chara Michele said...

Geocaching sounds interesting, I am glad you explained it since I always wondered how it works.

It is great to put a face to your name:)

Anonymous said...

My husband and I have gone after a few geocaches in our time. They can be really fun. They're great for getting you out to see nifty stuff about your own town and beyond.

I've never heard of event geocache but that sounds like fun!

You two are cute and bugs in rugs! :)