Friday, August 04, 2006

You get what you pay for!

It hasn't been a very good crafty morning. I have been trying to get more neck coolies done today so that I can wrap that project up. I also made a new tote bag using fabric I picked up super duper cheap at Walmart yesterday because I liked the pattern so much.

How often have you heard the phrase "you get what you pay for"? I've heard it a zillion times and I completely agree with it. I tend to not purchase items that are cheap, simply because I know they are of lesser quality and I will not be satisfied in the end with my purchase. But every now and then common sense doesn't prevail and you make a purchase and hope. Well...I should have known the minute I tried to cut the fabric that this was not going to work, but at this point I was still hoping (apparently I'm an optimist). It was the flimsiest cotton I've ever felt before in my life. I swear, the bolt said 100% cotton, but I find it hard to believe. I used heavy duty interfacing which certainly helped a lot, but I'm still very disappointed in the outcome. I did not even finish it and have thrown it in a box for now and it will most likely end up in the garbage the next time I sort through that box.

So what can I post since I feel the need to post something?

I've always had an interest in beading and every now and then I pull out my box of beads and make earrings or a bracelet. In July we were at the cottage we rent near Huntsville and of course I had to go to the combination bead/yarn store (heavenly combination). I purchased some sock yarn and was admiring the necklaces that the store owner had made up. I inquired about how one was made and she quickly gathered up all the supplies I would need to make it.

Here's my version:



I have yet to wear it but I plan on wearing it tomorrow to a Geocaching event we are going to.














I also made a bracelet using the same supplies:



I actually wear this quite a bit. I love the colours and they match almost everything I wear!





Well, off to get the oil changed in my car.

I am thinking about the next bag I'm going to try sewing AFTER I throw extra-super-cheapo Walmart fabric in the garbage!

1 comment:

the solitary thread said...

Hey girl! Thank you so much for your lovely comment on my blog, I think that your comment is the sweetest one I have ever gotten! you brightened my day honey! =)
That is so awesome that you are a librarian, something I aspire to be someday! And a high school one at that...poor you, LOL =P xox