Monday, January 22, 2007

My New Keychain

Using this great tutorial I made my first keychain. Of course I thought that it needed buttons so after cutting the fabric and fusing the interfacing to it I stitched on the buttons before any sewing began...big mistake!!! Because the keychain is only an inch wide and the buttons are almost an inch wide I had a heck of a time trying to stitch the sides of the keychain. Unfortunately, I think that the buttons need to be sewn on AFTER the sewing is done, or, use a wider d-ring so that the fabric is wider and there is room for the presser foot beside the buttons.

It ALWAYS seems like I have to make something a zillion times before I get it right. Let me introduce to you keychain number one:



Now that I look at the picture, the stitches don't look that bad, but TRUST ME, in person they are a MESS! Oh, the fabric was cheapo Jo-Ann's fabric for something like a dollar a yard....that's an awful lot of keychains!!!! *kidding*

Now it's time to go back to bed. I came home from work early today feeling quite ill. After a nap and a hot bath I'm feeling a bit better, but I think it's time for nap number two.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

that is cute fabric. cheap or not.

the keychain looks really good. i can only imagine that the buttons were a pain to sew around. and will probably be a bigger pain to sew on after it's finished.

Anonymous said...

Owh you are not the only one that does a zillion thing to get one right. I am like that too. If I can show you my botch project stash I think I would win by a mile, well maybe 2 miles. LOL. The funny thing is sometimes, I make 1 thing soooo freaking good the first time and when I want to do it again, I couldn't!! how weird is that?

Anonymous said...

You get better soon! My boyfriend suggests laying on your left side. Whether or not he has any merrit is yet to be decided.

Feel better!!

-Sarah

Anonymous said...

Girl, like you could ever sew a 'mess'! =) That is absolutely adorable, love the buttons! xox

Anonymous said...

I like it!

beki said...

That sure is cute for cheapo fabric - I never would have known!

Anonymous said...

Cute, Karyn! I purchased a purse and wallet set from Autum and she threw in a key chain and tissue holder, too!

Anonymous said...

Yeah, I've run into the button thing many times. I thought I had it down, then on the 100th drawing case that I made for the tutorial, I did it again - put the button too close to the edge. ARGH!!! I also sew 90% of the time with my super-wide walking foot. The key chain looks nice, though, and I know you'll get the process down. Buttons add a lot to the cuteness factor.

Joanna said...

That kind of stuff happens to me all the time. I'm always sewing stuff inside out or wrong sides together. Today it was putting grommets on wrong side out.